NSW Approvals Management Process - Simple Site Plans

How it works

Navigating the complex world of council requirements in New South Wales (NSW) can be a daunting task. Let Simple Site Plans take care of your council submissions, making the process hassle-free. Keep in mind that each block in NSW is unique, and to secure building council approval for a Development Application (DA) or CDC council approval for a Complying Development Certificate (CDC) in NSW, it is essential to provide a comprehensive plan that adheres to the prevailing local regulations and stipulations. Subsequently, the DA council or CDC council will conduct a thorough review to determine if the proposal merits approval.

At Simple Site Plans, we specialize in obtaining council approvals for a variety of projects, including Class 10 structures, extensions, new homes, secondary dwellings, and granny flats. We can also help with DA approval and CDC council approval.

we can help you prepare the necessary paperwork and submit your application. We will also work with you to ensure that your project meets all of the requirements for DA approval or CDC council approval.

To get started, simply complete and submit the Enquiry Form provided

Rest assured, we will respond to your inquiry within 24 hours.

Step 1 – Request a Quote

The first step to getting your approvals managed, is to submit a request to us. Once we have received the request, we will be able to tell you what type of approval is required or best suited to you. One of our architects or draftsmen will be in touch via email. They will send through a small package containing what information is required on our end (and where to find it), some sample documents, a deposit invoice, and a few other bits and pieces. Please include as much information as possible about your project, to help us get the required documents to you.

Step 2 – Return Required Information:

The next step, will be for you to return to us the required information for drafting and/or approval lodging. Some of the information that we will need returned includes surveys of your block, information about proposed structures, specific details you would like in the approval, remittance of payment, etc. For more information about these documents and where to find them, check our FAQ’s.

Step 3 – Lodgement of Approvals

We will get drafted plans back quite to you quite quickly. Once you have these, you can have a look over it to confirm if you want any changes/revisions, or need anything further. Once you confirm you are happy with the plans, we will begin to draft the required forms based off the drafted plans. We will then lodge all the forms on your behalf, monitor, and track the approvals process (if you would like us to do this part).

Step 4 – Successful Approval

If there is any additional documentation required, we will work through this with you. Once the approval is successful, we will send all of the completed documents to you. If there is additional form lodgement required (such as a Construction Certificate), we will then submit for this. Again, we will track the process and have the documents to you as quickly as possible.

A Development Application and Construction certificate is the most common way to get a structure built legally. The DA process varies from council to council, as well as the associated rules. However, all council’s use the same system for lodging of applications. This is the eDevelopment portal. It’s quite tricky to use if you’re unfamiliar with it, but don’t fear – we are experts in it! The fees are also slightly different between councils.

Time for a development applications varies greatly between the councils. Some take only a few weeks, and some can take up to 6 months! If you’re in need of a lead time, best to call your council, or get in touch with us to find out for you.

After you receive a Development Application, you will then need to get a Construction Certificate (whereas a complying development certificate counts for both of these). Within the construction certificate, you will nominate a certifier to perform inspections on your building. We can lodge these for you, however lots of certifiers like to do this themselves.

Each council will have what’s called a “Development Control Plan” (also a DCP). Within this plan will have all setback requirements, size requirements, etc. This should be found in your contract for sale. If you don’t have these, we can buy this from an information provider online for you.

As mentioned, development Applications are very different for every individual block. For any specific questions to your block, its best to get in touch with your local council, or get in touch with us for more information.

A complying Development Certificate (or CDC) can be used to build your shed, deck, pergola or secondary dwelling, without needing a DA and CC. This means you will not have interference from the council, or be delayed by their lead times. A Complying Development Certificate uses state wide NSW legislation, and is completed through a private certifier. A CDC can also save on cost, as well as time. A good certifier can usually turn a CDC around in a couple of weeks from when we submit all documents to them. In comparison, a DA and CC with a council (though it varies from council to council), can take months.

CDC’s can not be completed on any environmental living land (zones E2, E3, E4). And as mentioned before, every block is different. If you show your planning certificate to a certifier, they should be able to tell you if a CDC is applicable to your block or not (a planning certificate can be found in the sale contract for when you purchased the property, or purchased online). We can work with your certifier to determine what is required for the CDC process.
The full legislation can be found here.

A lot of the rules and regulations are based on your block zone. You can easily find that out by searching the NSW Planning Portal. 
A few basic rules and brief breakdown of the full legislation for Sheds include:

  • • Maximum Floor area of a detached development depends on the lot size (60m2 floor area for a block larger than 600m2, 100m2 floor area for a block larger than 900m, or even bigger for a rural zoned block.
  • • Maximum height for Complying Development is 4.8m
  • • Side setbacks are dependent on block size.
  • • Side Setbacks dependant on lot size, usually 900mm or 1.5m for a residential block, or 5m for a block bigger than 4000m2.
  • • The new shed must be behind the building line of a dwelling
  • • Cannot be in a heritage or conservation area.

Maximum Gross Floor Area of all buildings on block (includes houses or other sheds).

  • RU5, R1, R2, R3, R4, R5:
  • Block Size 200m2 – 300m2 – 75% of lot area
  • Block Size 300m2 – 350m2 – 235m2
  • Block size 450m2 – 1400m2 – 25% of lot area + 150m2
  • Block size >1400m2 – 500m2

Give your certifier a call to discuss if a complying development certificate is applicable to your block, or get in touch with us for further information.

All councils have their own sets of fees and levies. They can generally be found on each council’s website. A breakdown of our fees and process can be seen below. For further information on your council’s fees, you can visit their website, or get in touch with us. An example of some council fees can be seen here (these are the Yass Valley Council fees).


Enquire Now

    Office Location

    15/B Miranda House, New York

    What’s Approval Types Do You Manage